Friday, April 13, 2012

My Other Dining Table

We hosted 14 people in our little house for Easter dinner.  Thank goodness my family is full of great cooks, because they brought the main ingredients, while I ran around my house moving furniture, trying to decide how to get everyone in!

Naturally, the week before Easter was the *perfect* time (not!) to start re-finishing the top of this table.  It's a beautiful dark walnut on top now, and though I still need to touch up the white legs and apron, it needed to be used (All tables on deck!).     So I moved it to the living room for our Easter Party because it's narrower than...(ya-ta-da-da!) My Other Dining Table.

I tried many months ago to give this to any family member who would take it - The table is part of our grandparents dining set - I'm so glad now that no one wanted it!  Instead of tucking it back into storage, I grabbed the scratch cover and gave it a good "buffing".  I love the wider shape - which I originally thought was too big for our kitchen.  The kids can look out the window and enjoy their meals, without us telling them to "Turn around and eat!"
Though kitchen the whole floor plan needs rearranging, for now, it seems to flow a little better with the table oriented this way.   And  Abby has a great solution for that for the no longer centered light fixture. (Look away now, Dear.)
dinner party - blue table, green chairs
PinterestJosieDesign-Crisis
Of course I'm also never opposed to a little paint!  I had pinned the image above (I can't determine the original source - anyone?)  a while ago with My Other Table in mind...thinking I'd paint it and sell it *gasp*.  I have a major crush on anything turquoise and velvet green!  Though those chairs don't seen really practical with play-doh and spaghetti sauce, do they?  It also looks as if this table has a piece of glass over the top, another idea I love.  (Would toy trucks scratch the glass, like they scratch the wood? ...Grrr.)
dining room
I also love this dining area - With the black table and the modern chairs, it looks as if a busy family lives here.  (Maybe the cook gets a pretty, velvety arm chair.)  The white accents and the mix of  traditional, global and modern influences is simply beautiful.  Actually, this whole home tour is one of my favorite Before and Afters:  check it out here!

Wishes to you for a simply beautiful weekend!

3 comments:

  1. I adore both of these rooms although one of these a little too traditional, and one a little too modern. That said, the colour scheme of aqua and green is perfect! Love your blog Angie x

    Anna (My Design Ethos)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this table!
    Thank you for your lovely comment, just looked through your blog and fell in love;)
    I`m your newest follower...

    http://pudel-design.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find it hard to paint wood furniture-I grew up in a house where that was a no-no. Though I am loving these white painted tables with dark tops.

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear from you...!