Friday, October 7, 2011

You've Got to Love It

Even though I grew up on a farm, I didn't spend much time in the classic "farmhouse".   My parents built a ranch-style 4-bedroom house in 1976.  We were spoiled farm kids in the sense that we didn't have to share attic bedrooms or endure steep staircases and layouts from a historical way of living.

While our new house was being built, our family of five lived in a 2-bedroom trailer house.  My brothers were three and five, I was four.  The trailer house was a practical, but cramped solution to living cheaply during construction.  Besides being cramped, not everything worked in it.  One of the interior doors would stick shut which resulted in my parents saying (a lot!) "Don't close that door!". 

Though I knew to keep to myself my thoughts about a door you shouldn't shut: "Well, what's it for then?",   I didn't know enough to actually NOT shut the door.   Somehow, my (younger, peskier) brother got locked in until my parents came and "rescued" him.  (He was never in any real danger and now he's really good at fixing things.)

The trailer house also allowed my parents to be close to the construction.  Though they hired local neighbors and family members for the general construction, electrical, heating, etc,  they did as much work themselves as possible.  (My dad was putting shingles on the roof when my brother came home from his first day of Kindergarten.)

My mom was responsible for selecting all the finishing products.  "Glacial till" field stones for one of the fireplace surrounds, cherry paneling in the Living Room with a lofted ceiling and exposed beams and (ya-ta-da-da!)...

this flooring (in green) for the kitchen/dinette area.
Armstrong Flooring Ad BHG 1976
You are probably not as shocked to see this as I was.   To see the floor that always made me wonder (to myself mostly!) "Why? Why this (crazy) pattern, Moooom?" (Because of course, that quiet, but testy, 4-year-old morphed into a teenager!)

I did (finally) ask my mom why she choose this pattern.
After a quick,  faraway look, my mom said simply:  "Because I liked it."
Of course!  The basis of all things "good" - design or otherwise.  You must like it!

P.S.  Are you loving the lantern and the hardware on the built-in buffet by the range?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear from you...!